"Laundre Receet" from about 1870 - author unknown. This is interesting, considering the "laundry woes" in this house for the last 2 months. I do count my blessings. :)
1. Build fire in back yard to heat kettle of rainwater.
2. Set tubs so smoke won't blow in eyes if wind is pert.
3. Shave one whole cake of lye soap in biling water.
4. Sort things. Make three piles: one pile whites, one pile colored, one pile work britches and rags.
5. Stir flour in cold water to smooth, then thin down with biling water.
6. Rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, then bile; rub colored but don't bile, just wrench and starch.
7. Spread tea towels on grass.
8. Hand [hang] old rags on fence.
9. Pour wrench water on flower beds.
10. Scrub porch with hot, soapy water.
11. Turn tubs upside down.
12. Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with side combs, brew a cup of tea, set and rest and rock a spell, and count your blessings.