Saturday, July 18, 2015

Strawberry Pie

Recently, I saw a recipe come across facebook for strawberry pie. I had had some at a restaurant a week or so ago, and liked it, but had never made one on my own. So this recipe looked simple enough, and a few evenings ago, I tried it out. Strawberries were at a good price at Walmart, so I got a couple of containers. Sliced them all up, and fixed some to freeze and then bag later for the freezer.


The rest, I made into the pie, and it turned out great. For the crust, I used my usual pat-in-pan recipe.



PAT-IN-PAN PIE CRUST

1 c. flour
1/3 c. vegetable oil
3 Tbsp. milk
Dash salt

Put flour and salt directly in pie pan (9" or 10"). Combine a bit with fork. Sometimes I also add a dab of sugar. Combine oil and milk, stir with fork, then drizzle over flour mixture. Work together with fork, then finish with hands. "Pat" into sides and bottom of pie pan, finishing with desired crimped edge.

For a shell, bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. (Watch in case your oven runs hotter.)

Otherwise, fill and bake as directed on recipe.

STRAWBERRY PIE

3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. water
3 oz. box strawberry Jell-O
2 c. sliced strawberries
Pre-baked 10" pie shell

Line bottom of pie shell with sliced strawberries. Combine cornstarch, sugar and water in small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add the Jell-O and stir until dissolved. Pour over the strawberries and refrigerate until set. Serve with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment