Monday, January 19, 2015

Disaster Doesn't Always Mean Disaster


The above photo shows two nice, plump loaves of pumpkin bread, fresh out of the oven. Now look at the pans in the foreground. They look a little messed-up and crusty, no? Well ...

I decided to make some pumpkin bread this afternoon. I like to get ingredients ready or grouped together, then I can just throw them all together without having to stop and get them ready. So here's how it went: Oven preheated. Check. Two loaf pans nicely greased and floured. Check. Dry ingredients measured out, and everything else ready to put in the batter. Check. Then I put the batter together: Eggs-sugar-oil. Check. Pumpkin. Check. Dry ingredients. Check. Poured it into the two loaf pans, dividing it evenly. Check. THEN, I saw the little glass measuring cup still on the table with 2/3 cup of WATER in it that was supposed to be added at the end. UH-OH. Only I didn't say "uh-oh," I said something else. Then I scraped the batter out of the loaf pans back into the batter bowl, ADDED THE WATER, stirred vehemently, and poured it back into the loaf pans, which by now were no longer nicely greased and floured!

I shoved them in the oven and hoped for the best. Thankful that despite the "disaster," they turned out just fine. Here's the recipe in case it sounds good:

PUMPKIN BREAD

3 c. granulated sugar
1 c. vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1 lb. canned pumpkin
3 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. soda
2 tsp. salt (scant)
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. each - cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg
2/3 c. water

Mix sugar, oil and eggs together. Add pumpkin. Then add dry ingredients, then water, stirring just until mixed. Pour batter into two greased and floured 9 X 5-inch loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment