Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Caramel Coffee Cake




There are a lot of variations on recipes for sweet, pull-apart rolls baked in a tube pan. I've often enjoyed one from one of my hometown-area cookbooks called "Butterscotch Bubble Bread." It uses frozen bread dough rolls, brown sugar, pudding mix, butter, cinnamon. You arrange it in the pan, then let it sit overnight to thaw and rise, and bake it in the morning.


I've also seen recipes for "Monkey Bread," but haven't tried those particular recipes yet.


The other day I got a current issue of "Simple & Tasty" magazine at the thrift store for a whopping 40 cents. As I read in it, I came across a recipe for "Pull-Apart Caramel Coffee Cake." It looked similar to these other recipes, but used refrigerated biscuits and some simple ingredients. I was going to make it this morning, but last night, younger Son and I decided it would make a good bedtime snack. And yes, it did! (Seen in photo above before we attacked it.) PLUS some left this morning for breakfast! Very easy to make and very yummy.


This is from Jaime Keeling of Keizer, Oregon, and it was on p. 42 of April/May 2011 issue of "Simple and Tasty." (I've paraphrased it into a recipe format.)


PULL-APART CARAMEL COFFEE CAKE


2 tubes flaky buttermilk biscuits (12 oz. ea.)
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. ground cinnamon


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 10-inch fluted tube pan with cooking spray. Quarter biscuits; arrange evenly in pan. Combine brown sugar, cream and cinnamon. Pour over biscuits. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter. Yield: 12 servings. Cost: 33 cents per serving.


Now I have some cream left over, and I think younger Son and I are going to make "butter in a jar" for a project today. (We're homeschooling through the summer.) I've got some blueberries that need used, might just have to make some blueberry muffins to put the butter on!

No comments:

Post a Comment